Sunday, May 10, 2015

A Midsummer Night's Dream: Near Tragic Magic


When I think of A Midsummer Night's Dream, two words come to mind: reality and dream. Two worlds collide, one of mortals, and another of mythical creatures. So, I thought of summarizing the entire play in one drawing.
I incorporated the names of the imporant characters of the play as I feel they define the play. The big leaves represent the men and the flowers represent the women. The characters at the top of the frame are the ones I like best, and the ones at the bottom are the ones I perceive in a less favourable light. I described each character in 3 or less words. The 3 butterflies in the centre represent the 3 main characters from the mythical world. I placed them right in the centre because of their key roles in the play- it is their actions (particularly Oberon's and Puck's) that result in the mishaps that take place in this play.
The frame that is made up of the tree bark and vines represent the setting in which the play takes place: the forest. The huge purple flower is the flower from which Oberon derives the juice that is sprinkled on Titania's, Demetrius' and Lysander's eyes. In my opinion, this flower is probably the most important part of the story- if it did not exist, the storyline in the play would have taken a completely different path.
The title 'Near Tragic Magic' speaks for itself. It truly could have been tragic if the effect of the purple flower's juice never wore off.

No comments:

Post a Comment